The James Dinan School strives to have all students fully meet all of the following objectives:
- Extremely safety conscious shooters (both handling and storage);
- Shooters who fully understand the local laws related to firearm ownership, use, and Penal Law;
- Very good Marksman.
The school is listed in the Yellow Pages under “Gun Safety and Marksmanship”.
The school and all instructors are approved by the National Rifle Association and the State of New York, Division of Criminal Justice Service, Bureau of Municipal Police, to teach all aspects of firearm safety, marksmanship and penal law.
With your interest and cooperation, attendance in one of The James Dinan School Marksmanship Courses, will develop a student into one of the 80% of graduates who are capable of out-performing 95% of all law enforcement officers & their trainers participating in the same course of fire as that provided by The James Dinan School.
As part of the training, each student receives over 15 books and handouts covering the topics of Safety, Marksmanship, and Penal Law.
The classroom course meets all the requirements of the NRA Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety courses except for the range shooting requirements (NRA Basic Training), which can be achieved after classroom instruction by students attending one of the four Annual Training & Competition Shooting Events .
This course is guaranteed to be more complete, concise, and informative than any other course you may have attended, or may attend in the future, on the subjects of Safety and Marksmanship.
All graduates of the first two sessions of any one of The James Dinan classroom training programs, are invited to attend any of the four Annual Training & Competition Shooting Events. As mentioned above, attendance in at least one of these events is required to obtain certain NRA, however students tend to continually attend these annual events to help improve their overall skills and enjoyment of shooting sports.
These events are action-packed, full-day events, which include both instruction and competition. The instruction is provided to meet requirements for special certifications some students are working toward, and to bring out the optimum safety and marksmanship performance of all those in attendance.
Please remember that these events are intended to be educational experiences; and as such, you will be given the best coaching available.
Each event is limited to a maximum of 20 shooters.
Each of the events will include two of the three basic Shooting Segments as follows:
The Combat Shoots I, II, & III, will have the Combat 300 in the morning, and the Precision Combat 600 segment in the afternoon. The Bullseye/Combat Shoots will include the Bullseye segment in the morning and the Combat 300 & Precision Combat 600 segments in the afternoon. Depending the available time, each of the segments will be shot from two to three times during the designated part of the day.
In order to attend one of these events, a student must bring the following items and equipment:
- A valid New York State Pistol License (since NYS currently does not honor licenses from outside NY, no other license will be considered valid);
- Eye and ear protection;
- A center-fire Revolver or Semi-automatic pistol that is a minimum of 9mm;
- A strong-side out-of-waistband or paddle holster (no cross-draw);
- A minimum of 400 rounds of ammunition;
- Reloading capability:
- Semi-automatic pistol shooters must have a minimum of three (3) magazines capable of holding 6 rounds each;
- Revolver shooters are strongly encouraged to bring at least two speed-loaders;
- A carpenters (or equivalent) apron, used to hold ammo, speed-loaders, and magazines during the rapidly changing strings of fire;
- A shooting mat (or piece of carpet) to kneel and lay prone on, during those strings of fire;
- A plastic or cardboard box (approx. 1 ft. square) to hold all spent shells;
- Baggy trousers;
- Baseball cap;
- Bagged Lunch (since the break will be just 30 mins. and there are not many options for lunch near the range).
- High Grand Aggregate Trophy (Bullseye or Combat 300, plus Precision Combat 600 composite)
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th place Bullseye Trophy
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th place Combat Trophy (Combat 300 plus Precision Combat 600 composite)
- Highest single 600 Precision Combat Trophy
- Highest single 300 Bullseye Trophy
- 300 Combat Club Award (to any and all who achieve this)